Saturday, January 17, 2009

a time to rejoice




my precious mamaw got a wonderful surprise on thursday night.  she went to sleep here and woke up in heaven.  as much as i will desperately miss her, i am so happy for her.  she did not just "live a good life", she lived her life good.  she used her one chance on this earth to make a real difference in the lives of others.  most people these days feel that being a good person is good enough.  it is not.  as precious as my grandmother was, if she had not had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, this blog would have an entirely different tone.  i would not be able to rejoice in her death.  God's word tells us that our good works are "like filthy rags" to Him (isaiah 64:6). unless we confess our sins and have a personal relationship with Him, we will not see Him-our death will not be a time of rejoicing.  

as we spent yesterday taking care of all the many preparations and details.  we spent a lot of time thinking about the life that she lived.  because of her example, prayers and faithfulness-my mamaw lived to see her 2 sons, 2 daughters-in law, 6 grandchildren (2 by marriage), husband and all of her siblings come to know the Lord and have a personal relationship with Him. everyone in her immediately family either died serving the Lord or is serving the Lord now. now THAT is the kind of legacy that i want to leave!  she was not rich according to the world's standards but she left us an inheritance that all the money in the world could not equal.  
the last few years of her life were difficult.  many times we thought it was the end, but God had other plans.  i will never know all the reasons that God had for allowing her to stay here as long as she did but i am very thankful that my children were able to know her.  i do realize that they may not remember her when they are older but the times they were able to be with her were so precious.  most kids are kind of afraid of older people, especially as frail as my mamaw was. but kaylee and koleman loved their "mamaw walton".  as soon as we would walk into her house, koleman would go right to her and rub her arm with his tiny little hand.  he would lay his head on her lap and kiss her.  he would hold her cup for her so she could get a drink.  kaylee loved to help her in any way she could.  she would constantly ask mamaw if she needed to go to the bathroom.  she loved to raise her electric recliner and get her walker for her.  she would "help" her walk down the hall.  she would also hold her cup for her so she could drink.  and though mamaw could barely see or hold her head up, she truly did enjoy them so much.  she loved to hold them in her lap.  
the last time we spent with her was on new years.  we stayed up late new years eve and celebrated as it turned midnight.  we were all being silly, yelling and kissing each other.  we looked over and koleman had gone to her on his own and kissed her.  it was so sweet.  after we left on new years day, kaylee ended up staying 2 more nights on her own.  she wanted to stay and "help mamaw".  while she was there, she enjoyed riding her new pony.  as weak as mamaw was, they were able to bring her to the door so she could look out and see kaylee on the pony.  
i know i will shed a lot more tears as this weekend goes on and we go through all of the services that accompany someone's death.  but these services are not for my mamaw, they are for us. my tears are not tears of sorrow for mamaw but for me.  i am gonna miss her so much but i am so incredibly happy for her.  i pray with all my heart that i can leave the legacy that she has left.  i want to live my life as "good" as she did. 
"there will be a day with no more tears, no more pain and no more fears.  
there will be a day when the burdens of this world will be no more
we'll see Jesus face to face."
("there will be a day" by Jeremy Camp)

8 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful outlook about this. I'm sorry for you loss but rejoice with you in the fact that she's home now! If you need anything, let me know! Really!

    Blessings,
    Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  2. My love and best regards to your family, and to you. I am also sorry for your loss and wish your children could have grown up knowing her, but what a legacy she leaves! I hope all of our transitions out of this life are as peaceful as hers.

    Love and Misses,

    Aunt Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Glenna,

    First off, welcome to the world of blogging (you had better add us to your list missy) secondly, I'm so sorry for your loss of your Grandma but how AWESOME to know she's in heaven with Jesus! What an amazing woman she must have been. I can see how much you admire, adore and love her! Lots of Hugz,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenna,
    I didn't know your Mamaw personally, but I feel that she would be so proud if she could read this blog. You've uplifted me and I didn't even realize that I needed it! I'll be praying for you and your family because I know how much you will miss her, but you're exactly right - she is laughing, talking, and walking with Jesus today. What a wonderful image to get you through the tough times. We love you guys so much and are so blessed to have you in our lives. Take care and call if you need anything.
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I know about mamaw is the picture Tanya brought to the mission. She had piggytales. I have never forgotten that picture. I'm sorry for your lose, but you know where she is at today. Why be sad if we aspire to be there too. Your blog made me tear up, that's unsual. I pray my daughter and granddaughter look at me the same way when I am gone. Lord willing I last that long. Love ya, tell Kaylee I said Hi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful legacy your grandmother left. She would be sooooooo proud of this blog. It was very inspiring. Death is not the end but the beginning. What a wonderful time she is having, knowing that she has reached eternity. I can only imagine (WOW). We are praying for the sorrow you are experiencing in your loss. Tell Tanya we miss her. Thanks, Glenna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post about your grandmother was very touching and beautiful. Just yesterday I was thinking about you and wondering if you had a blog. God bless you and your family as you lean on Him, as your grandmother did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glenna, again, we were so sorry to hear of your loss but are happy to share in her rejoicing now that she is with our Lord and Savior. Gosh, can you even imagine what she is experiencing right now? I wish so much that I could be there with you now, but please know that your family is with us in our thoughts and prayers. We love you. Erin & Jason

    ReplyDelete