Friday, April 24, 2009

mother of the year?





i am sitting here eating a banana split and thin mints, trying to recover from a very traumatic afternoon.  i just about killed my childrens' "best friend" (as kaylee so lovingly refers to her).   for any of you who don't know who lydia is, she is our guinea pig.  for all of you who do know who lydia is, you also know how much i desperately hate her.  and the fact that everyone feels the need to remind me that i just had to have her, makes me hate her that much more.  well, back to my traumatic afternoon:   this morning, we took her out to the back deck so that i could clean out her cage.  i am very easily distracted so i never actually got around to cleaning the cage out.  i played in the yard with the kids and then i remembered that i had promised to bring mike lunch out at the farm.  so we spent several hours playing at the farm in the nice warm weather.  i decided that i would let the kids play at the farm while i went home to clean (such a blessing in disguise).  as soon as i walked in the front door, i remembered that i had left lydia outside.  i wasn't too worried until i saw her laying outside of her little igloo in the scorching sun - uh-oh.  when i brought her inside,  she was completely lifeless and breathing really hard. now, i cannot tell you have many times i have wished that she would die but i sure as heck did not want to be the one who killed her!!  i knew i was definitely in danger of losing my "mother of the year" title.  i was immediately trying to decide what my story would be because no one was ever going to know that i was the one who killed her.  i was completely freaked out.  i called the vet and they told me to wrap her in cold towels and put rubbing alcohol on her ears and paws.  so now i am not only completely freaked out, i am also completely grossed out.  i do not like dead things or even almost dead things and here i am sitting on my kitchen floor, trying to revive a half dead rat.  after doing everything the vet said, she was not getting any better.  so - i rushed her to the vet.  i never in my life dreamed that i would take a guinea pig to the vet.   i don't know if i was more motivated by the fact that i thought the vet could help her or that i just did not want a dead guinea pig on my kitchen floor.  either way, a few minutes later i am standing in the vet's office holding a half dead guinea pig (in a box of course) and crying.  yes, i was crying.  they took her straight back and started giving her fluids.  slowly, she started to revive.  while we were back there, i could hear people coming in and the receptionist was telling them "it will be a few minutes, there has been an emergency".  i thought that was really funny.  so after about 15 minute in the office, i was on my  way back home with a groggy but pretty alert guinea pig and a vial of antibiotics to administer twice a day.  so even though she's not completely out of the woods; the vet said her prognosis was "guarded", i think she's gonna pull through.  i am going to go polish my "mother of the year" trophy now. 

8 comments:

  1. AWESOME!! All I have to say is thank you for calling me at work and interrupting me with this incredibly scary, yet heroic story!! I'm so glad that I got to be your life-line phone call on the way to the vet, and then on the trip home. I'm so glad that little Lydia is ok. I would have totally told Kaylee that you killed her best friend. : ) lol. I also would be the one who is constantly reminding you that it was YOU who just HAD to go back to that stupid garage sale to get the rat. lol. (hmm... I remember a similarly bitter story about a garage sale that I took you too and then wrecked my car. Remember that?!) Garage sales never end up good. I'm glad that your Lydia story ended well, though. Thanks for the laugh today. I so needed that. LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story. I laughed the whole time. Not that it's funny, but I get it. You are so funny. This is your best blog yet. Give Lydia a big fat kiss for me....Yeah right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well since it has a happy ending I don't feel bad telling you I got a good laugh! Glad you didn't have to pack up the trophy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were right - I needed that laugh this morning!! You are so funny - you should write children's books - maybe alter your topic slightly, but still...
    And you ARE mother of the year - I'd have thrown that dead rat in the herbie and told the kids that it ran away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only you Glenna, only you :) You will definitely have to publish this story. Oh yeah, I was wondering, did Lydia have a Living Will, who knows, maybe she didn't want to be revived--hehe? Good Work Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious! I was cracking up the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hysterical. In retrospect for you, I'm sure! Hope you guys are well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, how did I not know about this....I would have so given you a hard time about it! LOL

    ReplyDelete